Battery Storage : Tesla Powerwall
- Tesla Power Wall battery storage allows solar energy generated to be stored for use at a later date, rather than being immediately directed back to the grid.
- Storing the solar energy ensures customers are using as much of their total generation as possible meaning increased savings on energy bills.
- As the Feed-in Tariff export is deemed, customers can enhance the benefit of the scheme and increase the cost-effectiveness of their system.
- Battery storage enables users to generate energy during peak sunlight and store it for use during primary consumption times.
- Battery storage can mean an increase of up to 50 percent in the utilisation of the solar energy generated
- Installing battery storage will further reduce grid dependence and carbon footprint.
- Storage can be designed to run effectively alongside new installations as well as retrofitted to be compatible with existing solutions.
There is a growing interest in the role that battery storage can play in enhancing the performance of solar PV systems by capturing surplus electricity generated, thus allowing consumers to store solar electricity for use later in the day.
Batteries designed to capture surplus electricity generated by your solar PV system allow you to store solar electricity for use later in the day
The solar PV system on your roof will generate electricity during the day that you can use in your home. Without a means of storing that solar electricity, any surplus energy that you don’t use is ‘exported’ to the local electricity grid. During times when the panels are no longer generating (or not generating enough for your needs), you need to buy electricity from your electricity supplier.
‘Energy storage’ lets you store the surplus solar electricity, instead of exporting it. Battery storage lets you use more of your solar PV system’s output. This reduces the amount of grid electricity you need to buy, saving you money on your electricity bill
From the Guardian…….
"Batteries – the workhorse technology that injects life into gadgets we can’t live without – are taking on a bigger role as they replace petrol tanks in cars and make their way into homes and businesses to store electricity from rooftop solar panels or the grid.
Developments in battery technology may not be a popular dinner party topic yet but that could change. The unveiling of Tesla’s low-cost home battery pack, thePowerwall, back in May helped raise public awareness of a field that is booming with innovation and billions of dollars of global investment.
The US energy storage market is growing particularly fast, and batteries are the star players. The country installed 40.7 megawatts of energy storage projects in homes, businesses and utilities in the second quarter of this year, nine times more than the same quarter last year.
Worldwide the total amount of energy storage, discounting the electric car market, could reach 240 gigawatts by 2030 , according to a report by Citigroup, with batteries as the dominant technology."